Ms. Truck: Petite Woman Brings In Big Bucks At GM
Some people say Obama saved GM from the abyss. Some people say GM sold its soul to the Chinese devil to cheat death. In truth, the future of General Motors rests on the shoulders of a 5-foot-2 woman by the name of Diana Tremblay. Writes Ben Klayman at Reuters:
“Global manufacturing chief Diana Tremblay is one of the highest-ranking women in the automotive industry. Throughout her 35-year career at GM, she has made her mark in what were regarded as male domains, from directing foundry workers to staring down union labor negotiators.
Now she faces an even more critical task for the world’s largest automaker – ensuring the smooth 2013 introduction of the remodeled full-size pickup trucks and SUVs, GM’s high-profile equivalent of a new Apple iPhone.
While executives at GM touted its strength in overseas markets like China after the Detroit company’s bankruptcy and $50 billion U.S. taxpayer bailout, it turns out the profit engine has instead been North America. And nothing is more important to that success than the second-quarter introduction next year of the big Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups and related SUVs, which analysts say generate profits of $12,000 to $14,000 per vehicle. ”
GM’s new full-size trucks will debut in Q2 2013, and with a successful launch, Trucks could boost operating profit by over $1 billion in ’13 and ’14, analysts say. 60 percent of GM’s profits come from trucks. GM depends on the success of the new truck line, and on the petite Diana Tremblay. Read the rest of the story here.
Doctor olds on Jun 26, 2012
GMNA is a mean lean machine, operating near capacity, and generating record profit. Arlington's new round the clock production plan and flexible assembly plants give GM the capability to adjust production to market demand. Trucks are over 50% of the American market and will not stray far from that share unless gas gets very much more expensive, and even then, consumers will still choose these vehicles. Besides, these new GM products will lead the segment in fuel efficency and performance. GM wil continue to sell far more large trucks and SUVs than anyone else.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Gregtwelve While Sichuan managed to avoid the nationwide energy rationing witnessed in 2021, attributed to a lack of coalWe have plenty of coal. Let's sell them something for a change. And let us not forget that historically the Chinese hate the Japanese for what they did in WW2, so that might have something to do with it.
- Jkross22 A toenail in every pot.
- SCE to AUX If the plant had been powered by internal combustion, this wouldn't have happened. The entire plant is just a toy for the rich.
- Jkross22 Gotta give the auto industry trollups some props - trying to guilt their johns into giving a bigger tip. Hilarious! Can't ever say Mary Barra doesn't have a helluva sense of humor.
- SCE to AUX No, until the Board of Directors decides otherwise.Same with sports figures and actors. Don't like it? Then quit buying the product.