In The Market For A Good Used Car? Here Are Your 15 Best Bets
“Reliability, safety and availability” were the criteria Edmunds used to arrive at its 2012 used car best bets. They are taken from the pool of 2005 through 2010 cars, because two to seven year old cars usually are the better deals.
And the winners are:
Coupe: 2005-2010 BMW 3 Series
Midsize Sedan: 2005-2010 Nissan Altima
Convertible: 2005-2010 Mazda Miata
Compact SUV/Crossover: 2005-2010 Honda CR-V
Minivan/Van: 2005-2010 Honda Odyssey
Compact Truck: 2005-2010 Toyota Tacoma
Luxury: 2005-2010 Infiniti G35/G37
Hybrid: 2005-2010 Toyota Prius
Sport Compact: 2005-2010 Subaru Impreza WRX
Compact Sedan: 2005-2010 Hyundai Elantra
Large Sedan: 2006-2010 Hyundai Azera
Wagon: 2005-2010 Pontiac Vibe
Midsize SUV/Crossover: 2005-2010 Ford Explorer
Large SUV/Crossover: 2005-2010 Chevrolet Tahoe
Large Truck: 2005-2010 Ford F-150
Oh, and just in case some are missing a statistic that raised hackles and caused heckles at past lists: Four out of 15 cars on this list are not American. Bonus statistic: One of the four was a Japanese in drag.
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- NotMyCircusNotMyMonkeys for that money, it had better be built by people listening to ABBA
- Abrar Very easy and understanding explanation about brake paint
- MaintenanceCosts We need cheaper batteries. This is a difficult proposition at $50k base/$60k as tested but would be pretty compelling at $40k base/$50k as tested.
- Scott ?Wonder what Toyota will be using when they enter the market?
- Fred The bigger issue is what happens to the other systems as demand dwindles? Will thet convert or will they just just shut down?
This list has issues. But I will add the Vibe as something to look at if my ride needs replacement.
I dont like that they created a 'sport compact' catagory just so they could include the Subaru. Where is sport mid-size? Sport large car? Sport sub=compact? The BMW 3 series is not a true 'coupe', since it is the same body as the 4 door sedan. It's really a 2 door sedan. Coupe is Mustang, Z, Camaro, Audi TT, others with unique coupe bodies, no 4 door sedan versions. Not talking about platforms, but body styles.