The French have always had a penchant for doing things a little differently. Take Matra, for example.
The Matra R530 is a medium range air-to-air missile normally fitted to the Dassault Mirage fighter jet.
The Matra M530, on the other hand, is a mid-engine sports car. Of course, that was no coincidence, as the first real Matra sports car was named after the missile built by the same company’s weapon division.
Yet the company’s abnormal conventions didn’t end at naming a mid-engine sports car after an infrared homing missile, making Matra one of the more interesting — albeit obscure — footnotes in French automotive history. The company went from producing front-line weaponry to winning the Formula One title in five years, won Le Mans three times on the trot, and produced some of the first minivans. Yet, at the height of their power, they hung up their automotive jacket and today they produce….bicycles?
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Analoggrotto Toyota will have refreshed almost the entire lineup by next year, sure they phoned a lot of it in (Land Cruiser-GX, GH-TX, Century...) but they are ready with fresh product instead of cancelling the entire show. Wish the GR V6 could have survived :(.
- Lou_BC I find it interesting that many act like it's just UAW jobs at risk from "robots". 50% of the total workforce over the next 20 years is at risk. That 50% is predominantly unskilled labour.
- Doug brockman No. It wouldnt. EV is a loser technology
- Sgeffe I'm wondering if any tooling or whatnot from the original was used in the production of this beast.
- Sgeffe I usually pass by the UCOTD posts, but I had to ask on this: what, pray tell, is with the sideview mirrors off a C5 Corvette??!! Yikes!