LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2014, 07:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

I'm considering turning out for my first ever HPDE event; there is one at VIR the first weekend in April. It is put on by the Tarheel Sports Car Club.

Does anyone have any experience with this group or event?

I plan on participating with my 2006 Mustang GT in the "beginner" group.
rileyru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

I ran an HPDE @ Homestead, Miami a few months back with my 350Z and will be doing another one this weekend. Every group / club has different rules but here are the basics:

1) You'll need a helmet, so if you don't own one make sure rentals are available.

2) Switch out your brake fluid. You'll need DOT4, Motul or Castrol SRF is what everyone recommends. This is no joke... you WILL BOIL the stock fluid, the pedal will get soft. Once this happens your done, the fluid will not "recover" and your day is over. Going fast is easy, stopping is the hard part.

3) My first group required long sleeve shirts and long pants. You will be driving with your windows down.

4) Bring an extra shirt, you'll be driving hard and sweating. Bring some snacks and drinks - but NO alcohol at all!

5) Do NOT set your emergency / parking brake after your run. The rotors & pads will be too hot.

6) Obvious, but make sure you car is good condition - with enough tire tread and brake pad / rotors up to spec. There will be a tech inspection, get the form ahead of time and review it. Small things like not having a battery tie down could ruin your day.

7) Clean your car inside and out, you will have an instructor riding along with you. Remove any lose or extra objects like floor mats. Anything that is not bolted down must go! The interior should be free of any and all trash, this includes silly things like air freshers, aftermarket cup holders, etc.

8) Get a full tank of gas beforehand, your mileage will be laughable (I got 9 mpg, when I normally get between 18-24).

9) General tips: brake only in a straight line, brake hard and firm, don't pump the brakes, let the ABS do its job if necessary. Slow in - fast out. Stay on the racing line and only wave others by in passing zones. They will go over this stuff (and more like flags and pit rules) in the drivers meeting - pay attention!

10) Communicate with your instructor, ask for feedback and make sure you understand what is required.

11) If you have an iPhone or Android device plus a good mount consider this: http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Home.html
Old 01-22-2014, 03:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you have a chance to go with TrackDAZE they're always my first recommendation for VIR. No metal-to-metal contact in Novice group, ever.¬*

But I'm sure these guys are also fine.¬*
Jack Baruth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 01:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

JM, thanks! There are a few great points in your post.

Jack, I looked up TrackDaze and they have an event a few months later on May 31st that may work in my schedule. Looks like the same setup (4 each 30 min track sessions with classroom instruction in between on each day). Sounds great! Gives me some more time to make sure the car is ready too. It needs brake pads so I might go ahead and upgrade the pads, rotors, lines and fluid.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

If you choose TrackDAZE, ahem, request me as an instructor
Jack Baruth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Jack Baruth said If you choose TrackDAZE, ahem, request me as an instructor Sounds like a plan!
Old 01-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

rileyru said It needs brake pads so I might go ahead and upgrade the pads, rotors, lines and fluid. Yep stainless steel brake hoses are an easy and (relatively) cheap upgrade. I just did mine - and the pedal is very firm, hopefully the new fluid will keep it that way throughout my sessions this weekend. Having a Mustang I'm sure you've got plenty of forums to dig up advice on what others recommend as good upgrades. Don't go crazy, its mostly about learning and feeling things out. Having the "best" anything does help until you learn the track and how to drive it. Gotta say to Jack and the other instructors - talk about balls of steel. To get into someone else's car, which appears to be working (mostly) and who may (or may not) think he is "The Stig" is completely nuts. I found it entertaining when my instructor told me to driver faster! I was lifting out of pure fear. The weak link is clearly the nut behind the wheel. The most refreshing part was the mutual respect I saw. Everyone was nice and friendly (minus one azz hat in a red Audi... but there is always one right?). I was running with guys owning cars that cost as much as my house (there was a Mclaren on track) and they were not jerks at all.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

rileyru said Jack, I looked up TrackDaze and they have an event a few months later on May 31st that may work in my schedule. Looks like the same setup (4 each 30 min track sessions with classroom instruction in between on each day). Sounds great! Gives me some more time to make sure the car is ready too. It needs brake pads so I might go ahead and upgrade the pads, rotors, lines and fluid. I'm planning on attending that TrackDaze event as well, so hopefully I'll see you there. THSCC runs a good event too, though, for what it's worth.
Ringer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 05:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Ringer, yes I am now planning on TrackDaze because of the TTAC presence and they seem pretty equal otherwise. Looking forward to meeting you and having Jack as an instructor.

I don't plan¬*on going crazy with "upgrades" -¬*since it needs brake pads anyway I'm just taking advice above and changing fluid, and¬*may as well change the lines at that time.¬*Don't plan anything else. The car is good for an 06, only has 50k miles. The dealer does oil changes, and¬*I do everything else they recommend (well except for fuel induction system service- that appears to be b/s!) I've done the power steering fluid service, new fuel filter, changed and upgraded the transmission fluid, etc. Car drives great!

I know I will be the weak link more so than any part of the car! As far as the "general tips" above, I think maybe some of my bicycle racing experience may be relevant as far as picking a good line / apexing a turn, braking before the turn, watching for faster riders and staying out of their way / allowing them to pass, how to change a corner line if needed due to traffic, etc... However I am fully aware that I have little to no experience of handling a car on track,¬*feeling for the tire grip, rules of track¬*and flags,¬*and all that. That's why I need the beginner HPDE!

Have a few questions:

1. If my wife wants to sign up as well, is it possible for us to "share" the car (one of us in the car while one is in class, or both of us¬*in class and then take turns on the track) - or are all the beginners on the¬*track and in class at the same time?

2. Any experience with the HPDE event insurance? Seems like a reasonable cost. Does it have good coverage, does it pay out when needed, is it even recommended? How does it work.

3. Any helmet recommendations? Try to borrow/rent, or go ahead and buy? Does a $200 helmet offer the same protection as an $800 helmet?
Old 01-24-2014, 08:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

rileyru said Have a few questions: 1. If my wife wants to sign up as well, is it possible for us to "share" the car (one of us in the car while one is in class, or both of us¬*in class and then take turns on the track) - or are all the beginners on the¬*track and in class at the same time? 2. Any experience with the HPDE event insurance? Seems like a reasonable cost. Does it have good coverage, does it pay out when needed, is it even recommended? How does it work. 3. Any helmet recommendations? Try to borrow/rent, or go ahead and buy? Does a $200 helmet offer the same protection as an $800 helmet? Given the fact that I've done ONE event my advice isn't worth much, but I'll throw it out anyway. 1) Awesome that your wife wants to go! I would ask the organizers. At my event they split people into 3 groups based on experience, thus all the beginners were on track at once. So to share a car you would each get half the number of sessions. The real question: is the entry fee per car or per person? 2) I haven't looked into insurance, while collecting a wall is possible they do everything to ensure the worst case is nothing more then spin in the grass/gravel. As you advance and get to run solo (no instructor) then maybe insurance becomes an issue. 3) For my first event I was able to borrow a helmet from my instructor and rentals were available. Since I plan on doing this several more times I just bought one. Seemed like a small price to pay to not put someone's sweat on my head. A buddy of mine is motorcycle dude with three bikes, goes on organized rides, etc, etc. He told me to get an HJC from http://www.motorcyclegear.com/ for $75. Sure its not an $800 Aria but it is SNELL and DOT certified. Thus its "safe enough"... whatever that means. Honestly I think its more of CYA for the organization. Do you drive with a helmet everyday? No, you've got airbags. How much faster will you be going at HPDE? My top speed was only 100 MPH due to track layout. I drive 80 on the highway surrounded by total idiots, driving complete rust buckets on bald tires, while texting their crack dealer and sucking down Red Bulls. So "safe" is a relative term.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forum - The Truth About Cars forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.