LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Here are my impressions: 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0 in Summer Gold Metallic with black interior, automatic, and 20,000 miles. Priced at just over $30k and on "sale" this weekend for $28k. I know you should never base your opinion of a car solely on a 20 minute test drive, but that 20 minutes has completely put me off the 2.0. I was seriously considering it as a future car. The hood release is incredibly hard to find. The salesman and I spent 5 minutes searching even after looking in the manual. It's right in the middle of the driver's bottom dash. I got to take it out by myself which is awesome. I told him right off that I didn't like the color but ATSes are hard to come by used and he offered to let me take it out. The engine made a weird high pitch noise while accelerating, I turned the radio off to make sure I was hearing it accurately. It never stopped making it even after it got warmed up. Not sure if they all do this. I was also surprised at how much noise there was in the cabin. It wasn't overwhelming, just more than I expected. Power was just ok. Coming from my Legacy I could definitely tell the difference in acceleration and responsiveness. But I suspect that is easily corrected with a tweak of some maps and a good tune. And I think that would be enough to get it into the pleasing category for me. The Cue system works ok as long as you're sitting still. I had to jab at all the touch controls in the center stack multiple times to get them to register. And while adjusting the temperature controls while driving, I had to take my eyes completely off the road to get it done. There is a nice thump that confirms you pressed a button, but I found myself frustrated with it rather quickly. Handling was excellent. I took it on a low speed windy bit and it never felt out of shape and seemed to want more. This alone would be a valid excuse to buy one. With more aggressive tires, I think this would be a really fun car to drive. Brakes and steering didn't make any impact on me, which these days I consider a good thing. Visibility, while there were dealer sheets on the rear window, was terrible. I like to sit low, which usually helps in modern cars but looking over my shoulders yielded only the rear door cards. I also had a hard time finding a comfortable driving position. The headrest made me have to lean forward the whole time. It wasn't easily obvious how to adjust it while I was thinking about it. The trunk is a good size for 2 people. I was surprised by the amount of leg room for rear passengers, even with seats all the way back. I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time back there, but cramming folks in to go out to lunch wouldn't be too bad for 4 people. While I think what you are getting a good car for $28k, I don't think that's good enough for this car. For a Cadillac I want more. Or, in the case of touch controls, less. I've been reading that the ATS is one of the best Cadillacs ever and maybe it is. I definitely think there is room for improvement. Actual car not pictured:
Land Ark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to educatordan

I know turbos are supposed to be the answer but I would certainly be buying the 3.6 V6 if I was buying an ATS. I know I'm old school but I can't picture being happy with a 4 cyl in a Cadillac.*
Owner 1967 Ford Mustang Convertible: 289V8, Cruise-o-matic transmission, vintage burgundy exterior, black interior and top, MSD Ignition, true dual 2.5 in exhaust system, Ford 9in rear. Owned since July 2013, in family since 1967.

DD: 2004 Ford F150 Heritage, single cab, bench, crank windows, 4.6V8, automatic, aftermarket flatbed, Dynomax cat back dual exhaust. Owned since 2006. 2010 Toyota Highlander, V6 AWD, three row, family truckster *
educatordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 04:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

I test drove a new ATS with manual and it was so balky I couldn't get a quick shift in for the life of me.*
fredtal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I think this car is a piece of crap. I drove the 6MT, and the gearbox was awful, and I couldn't get over the coarseness and noise of the engine. Your comments are pretty well spot on. No thanks. I'll take a Regal GS.
Derek Kreindler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

I actually drove straight over to the Buick dealer after driving the ATS. They had a GS on the lot, new and FWD. A salesman didn't immediately approach and I didn't want to waste his time driving a new one and I really want to drive the AWD version since that's the one I would consider. I was also starving. So I didn't stick around.

I really want to love the GS, which after driving the ATS may have also made me not drive it that day and risk being disappointed again.
Land Ark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forum - The Truth About Cars forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.