LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2014, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

B&B, I am in the market (in the next 6-12 months, so no rush) for a luxury SUV. Not just any, but a mid-sized (larger two row) or, if the vehicle is right, three row SUV. I have narrowed my choices down to an Acura MDX, who's third row hides so well you can't even tell it has one, or an up-level Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland/Summit. I'm 6'5, so that rules out compact SUV's (read: most SUV's). The problem I'm having is, I recently realized the joys of CPO. I've seen Porsche Cayennes in the 30-40k price range, used VW Touaregs, BMW X5's, etc, and the question is: what good luxury models in this specification should I be looking at, when durability is an important factor? I recognize that if I can save 5-10k off the purchase price of a new Acura MDX/JGC, a price I'm willing to spend, that I may have a repair or two crop up, but how crazy am I, really, for looking at an X5 or a Cayenne? The X5 I've heard horror stories about, so I'm honestly not even really considering one, but that's the size I'm looking at, so I figure I'd mention it. Should I be a wuss and buy new, or take the plunge and get some beautiful, slightly exotic CPO luxury metal, and if so, which?
tuffjuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Audi Q7 *
Lie2me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 05:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to educatordan

Denali Terrain AWD V6, because if your bitching about price you need to expand your definition of what "luxury" is. Remember Jack saying that luxury is now for the masses.*
Owner 1967 Ford Mustang Convertible: 289V8, Cruise-o-matic transmission, vintage burgundy exterior, black interior and top, MSD Ignition, true dual 2.5 in exhaust system, Ford 9in rear. Owned since July 2013, in family since 1967.

DD: 2004 Ford F150 Heritage, single cab, bench, crank windows, 4.6V8, automatic, aftermarket flatbed, Dynomax cat back dual exhaust. Owned since 2006. 2010 Toyota Highlander, V6 AWD, three row, family truckster *
educatordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 08:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

PrincipalDan said Denali Terrain AWD V6, because if your bitching about price you need to expand your definition of what "luxury" is. Remember Jack saying that luxury is now for the masses.* I would prefer to not have a tarted up version of the vehicle I already own. I guess when I say luxury, I'm talking features and interior/build quality. GM disappoints me with their CUV offerings - you have to spend nearly 50k on a Cadillac SRX to get proximity entry, at least I have yet to find a model on the lot that doesn't fit that description, and the same goes for the Buick Enclave.
tuffjuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 05:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Travis

Luxury is very rarely synonymous with build quality these days.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forum - The Truth About Cars forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.