LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2014, 07:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

I'm starting to look for a car to replace my 2003 Matrix.

¬*I usually like to buy new but budgetary constraints do not make that possible right now. Whenever I comb through the weekend ads looking for car specials, my local paper has an advertisement for Hertz used car sales. The pricing certainly looks attractive but are they really a good deal or a nightmare waiting to happen.

I've heard both sides of the argument and find validity in each.

1) Don't EVER buy a former rental because customers and lot attendants flog them like rented mules. They are a ticking time bomb waiting to explode huge repair bills upon you.

2) Buying a former rental is a GREAT IDEA because you get a good car at a very reasonable price. Your car will be in very good shape with relatively low miles because car rental agencies follow very strict upkeep, maintenance¬*and turnover schedules.

So, What say you, Best & Brightest?
Blackcloud_9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 07:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

There are two schools of thought on this one:[*]A rental will be religiously maintaned, which is great.[*]Enough people seem to think when you have a rental or loaner car, you should beat the crap out of it, which is not.[/list]I feel like the latter isn't as big of a deal because rental cars tend to be sold off before too many miles are accumulated, and because National or Hertz wouldn't want to knowingly sell you a car that was messed up, less it reflect poorly on them. Also, rentals (in my experience) tend to be listed significantly less expensively than through a dealership. I'm going through a similar process, albeit with dealerships, and would say one option - if you know the make and model of the car you want - is to look at a CPO offering. Most manufacturers have a pretty neat CPO car finder tool that lets you find way more on a used make and model than you'd find by just going to one car conglomerate/dealership's website.
tuffjuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Some people hoon rental cars, yes. Some rental agencies aren't necessarily strict on maintenance, like the one that just yesterday sent my wife out for a week's rental in a Grand Caravan with the oil change light illuminated. She'll put close to another 1000 miles on it before they have a chance to take care of it.
yesthatsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Given how I treat rental cars in general...and assuming others probably are similar. I'd say no.

I've had rental cars issued to me with warped rotors, squealing brakes, Christmas tree dashboards, change oil indicators, check airbag lights, burned out headlights (not after I left, when trying to drive out).

Rental agencies do "just" enough to meet the minimum requirements - at best.

The counter argument is that there are car owners out there that go, "what I was supposed to change the oil," while with a rental car you at least know the most basic of basic care was likely done.

One other thing - most rental cars are "self insured" so if a renter wraps one around a phone pole it is not likely to show up on a Carfax report.

SHOW: Holden conversion including badges, Holden backup assist, Holden triple digital center console gauges, custom made Holden instrument cluster calibrated for US MPH, front clip shaved w/ painted lower grilles, matte black hood scoops, clear bra, 35% tint, auto dimming mirror, Homelink, bass bias mod, VG shark fin antenna, Vehicle In Motion modification, Bluetooth, full size spare w/ GM jack kit provided by Pace, glovebox light, white fuse covers, Rotofab radiator cover, engine cover custom painted w/ SS trim, billet aluminum engine bay trim, SS hood liner, Maverick Man billet fasteners, MGP caliper covers, Third Shift Studios plaque, JBL MS-8, Morel speakers all around, SAS 10" sub, Redline Goods rear armrest

GO: Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 91 tune, Billet Prototypes white catch can, modded lower grille, Solo Performance¬*axle backs; DBA 4000 series rotors; Russell SS brake lines; ATE Blue; Hawk ceramic pads, Camaro SS 20s 245/35F & 275/30R with custom center caps

0-60 MPH: 5.01 Seconds | 1/4 Mile: 13.354 Seconds @ 105.85 MPH | 290kW / 572Nm DynoJet uncorrected
HoldenSSVSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

APaGttH said One other thing - most rental cars are "self insured" so if a renter wraps one around a phone pole it is not likely to show up on a Carfax report. That's an important point. In these cases, anything short of irreparable damage will go to the in-house body shop for a patch-up. I once bought a 6-year-old, 100k-mile former rental as a beater for a 110-mile round-trip commute. I got another 80k relatively trouble free miles out of it until it bit the dust with engine failure and electrical gremlins. These days, I have a much shorter commute, work from home 3 days a week, and drive with my kids in the car much more frequently. As a result, I'd be reluctant unless I got a screaming deal.
yesthatsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'd bet even money that somebody here owns a former rental and doesn't know it. Most Enterprise cars are sold directly to franchise dealers and sold as regular old used cars.¬*
BarkM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 11:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Bark M. said I'd bet even money that somebody here owns a former rental and doesn't know it. Most Enterprise cars are sold directly to franchise dealers and sold as regular old used cars.¬* A simple VIN check will tell you it was a rental. I can't imagine buying a used car without doing some sort of VIN check. It may not tell you everything, but it's better then nothing
Lie2me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 04:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

How about this rental?¬* I'm sure you might more exotic cars like this, but I've never seen one.

2012 Mercedes C63 AMG

http://www.fidelitymotorgroup.com/web/used/Mercedes-Benz-C-Class-2012-Lake-Barrington-IL/9661001/
NotFast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

If forced to choose, I would vote "nyet."¬* They've almost certainly been abused, and while they have been maintained by the book, it's the wrong book. (They get serviced on the "normal" schedule, but almost always belong on the "severe" schedule).

They're also often not particularly cheap, although that can vary.¬* At least in the old days, the domestics were often purchased with buyback programs -- essentially, they were leases disguised as sales -- so the major fleet operators had no reason to deeply discount them, as they were subject to repurchase.

But you may find a gem in the rough, so never say never.¬* Used cars should obviously be considered on a case-by-case basis, for obvious reasons.
Pch101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2014, 12:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

I would say it's about the same risk as any other used car. People seem to abuse their own cars as much as rentals. I think this is especially true for off-lease cars.
MBella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forum - The Truth About Cars forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.