LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

I worked in car rental for almost 8 years.* I worked in several offices in different parts of the country in various job titles.* At one point I was a*Fleet and Maintenance Manager.* I saw some fine things, and not so fine things (an Escalade had gone 28K before its first oil change-thats bad!).

Generally speaking smaller, more rural locations usually take better care of their cars than say, big locations like Boston.* I worked my last few years in the business in a smaller office where we were more organized, less busy (except in peak tourist season), and more apt to*maintain the vehicles.*

In general, airport locations cater to tourists and business rentals-yes, some beating of the cars occurs, although not as often as in town locations-not to single any one company out-but Enterprise-they specialize in insurance replacement rentals for when someone wrecks their own car.* Those renters are generally way harder on the vehicles from my experience.* Enterprise actually bought out the company I worked for (National/Alamo) and when we first started fleet sharing/integrating it was amazing just how beat up their cars were compared to ours.* Now they share fleet, but that does not matter.

As far as maintenance goes on a rental-the places change the oil and make sure the recalls are taken care of, and thats about it.* Unless an issue arises that needs to be fixed.* Is that any worse than the average person?* Guess you have to decide that for yourself.*

If it was me, based on my experience, I would buy a former rental car if it was the right one at the right price.*
Tim_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

Oh-and a word on reminder lights in rentals.* Some places have some guy in house change the oil, some go to places like Jiffy Lube, some have a mobile oil change company come to their lot and change the oil. If I had a dollar for everytime someone changed the oil in a rental and did not reset the **** light I'd have quite a bit of money.* Just because that light is on does not mean the oil change has not been done.* And just because the light is off, does not mean the oil change has been done.** Now if I also had a dollar for everytime I used to have to explain that, I'd I have even more money!* It was actually one of the things I used to nitpick-bad impression for the customer, and who wants to look at that light the whole time they drive?*
Tim_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forum - The Truth About Cars forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.