LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

You'll read about it, or hear it. That one person who had a Corolla that engine blew up at 17K miles.

The Civic that had endless electrical problems.

The Panther platform workhorse Crown Vic that no one wanted to drive because of its tendency to leave people dead on the side of the road at 2AM.

What quality "champion" have you owned that turned out to be a quality dud. Those complaining about VW oil consumption, blown fuel pumps on BMWs and destroyed Subbie WRX turbos need not apply. This is for those crazy cars that just were cursed from birth, and became the Lemon Law fodder from **** (or should have been Lemon Lawed).

Back in '93 owned a Subbie Legacy that we jettisoned from the motor pool at just 44K miles. Brakes, electrical, the entire HVAC system installed wrong requiring the entire dash to be gutted (covered graciously by Subbie) and all sorts of oil leaks. Coming from the Northeast was sold on Subbie reliability (if not their tendency to rust away) and it just didn't happen.

SHOW: Holden conversion including badges, Holden backup assist, Holden triple digital center console gauges, custom made Holden instrument cluster calibrated for US MPH, front clip shaved w/ painted lower grilles, matte black hood scoops, clear bra, 35% tint, auto dimming mirror, Homelink, bass bias mod, VG shark fin antenna, Vehicle In Motion modification, Bluetooth, full size spare w/ GM jack kit provided by Pace, glovebox light, white fuse covers, Rotofab radiator cover, engine cover custom painted w/ SS trim, billet aluminum engine bay trim, SS hood liner, Maverick Man billet fasteners, MGP caliper covers, Third Shift Studios plaque, JBL MS-8, Morel speakers all around, SAS 10" sub, Redline Goods rear armrest

GO: Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 91 tune, Billet Prototypes white catch can, modded lower grille, Solo Performance¬*axle backs; DBA 4000 series rotors; Russell SS brake lines; ATE Blue; Hawk ceramic pads, Camaro SS 20s 245/35F & 275/30R with custom center caps

0-60 MPH: 5.01 Seconds | 1/4 Mile: 13.354 Seconds @ 105.85 MPH | 290kW / 572Nm DynoJet uncorrected
HoldenSSVSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 01:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

What about the other way around? Vehicles that people (and Consumer Reports) tell you to avoid like poison, yet just keep going? I've got a Dodge Dakota that other then a few minor issues has done about 90K miles of boat towing duties without complaint. I do worry about the tranny, it acts up every now and then.

My father has a TrailBlazer that was a major POS from day 1. Its been flat bedded three times and would have required a fourth trip if it hadn't broken down within a block of a local tune-up shop. Too many issues to list (I honestly can't remember all the stories), but similar to Subbie above the entire HVAC system has been replaced twice under warranty. And when I say "entire" I'm taking every single part of the system, like two weeks worth of shop time. I have no idea why he keeps driving it, other than its paid off and he only uses it occasionally.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'll do both:

Most reliable CU "lemon"

1993 Dodge Spirit. ¬*CU chose to group the V6 and the 4cyl together. ¬*Result was the V6, with it's failing valve guides, and the 4spd auto which was the mechanical equal of a grenade with the pin pulled, had issues to say the least. ¬*CU hated it. ¬*But if you could deal with the 2.5L four's lower power and a 3spd auto, getting a Spirit with this drivetrain resulted in a bulletproof ride. ¬*I had one and drove it to 200K with no more than gas and oil.

Least reliable "Cu Recommended" is a tie

1997 Ford Taurus. ¬*It had the most reliable engine, the 3.0 Vulcan, with the most reliable transmission, the AX4N. ¬*Both were done before 125K miles. ¬*Replacing the head gaskets and cats would have been half way reasonable except this "fleet queen" was worth less than 1500 bucks at the auction.

2003 Honda CR-V ¬*JUNK junk junk junk junk!!! ¬*Alternator, power steering pump, window switches, lock actuators, wobbly driver's seat, carpet that was worn out in less than 100K miles, even in back where very few rode, horrible fit and finish; marginal quality plastics. ¬*And every time someone tells me my expectations are too high, I point them to my "other" car, a 2000 CR-V that was built without the assistance of "financial engineers." ¬*170K and still going strong with few repairs, and the carpet is fine.
troyohchatter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

@JMII

Yup. The Subbie had the same issue. Everything had to replaced in the HVAC system. It was installed wrong at the factory. When they gutted the dashboard the regional rep told us he was amazed it had ever worked at all. Right up to the ducts. The car was also in the shop for about two weeks. I shudder to think how much that cost in labor to make it right - glad to know we didn't pay for it.

The car started hemorrhaging oil about six months later. We were done.

SHOW: Holden conversion including badges, Holden backup assist, Holden triple digital center console gauges, custom made Holden instrument cluster calibrated for US MPH, front clip shaved w/ painted lower grilles, matte black hood scoops, clear bra, 35% tint, auto dimming mirror, Homelink, bass bias mod, VG shark fin antenna, Vehicle In Motion modification, Bluetooth, full size spare w/ GM jack kit provided by Pace, glovebox light, white fuse covers, Rotofab radiator cover, engine cover custom painted w/ SS trim, billet aluminum engine bay trim, SS hood liner, Maverick Man billet fasteners, MGP caliper covers, Third Shift Studios plaque, JBL MS-8, Morel speakers all around, SAS 10" sub, Redline Goods rear armrest

GO: Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 91 tune, Billet Prototypes white catch can, modded lower grille, Solo Performance¬*axle backs; DBA 4000 series rotors; Russell SS brake lines; ATE Blue; Hawk ceramic pads, Camaro SS 20s 245/35F & 275/30R with custom center caps

0-60 MPH: 5.01 Seconds | 1/4 Mile: 13.354 Seconds @ 105.85 MPH | 290kW / 572Nm DynoJet uncorrected
HoldenSSVSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forum - The Truth About Cars forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.