Forum - The Truth About Cars

Forum - The Truth About Cars (https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/forum/)
-   Used Car Discussion (https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/forum/6-used-car-discussion/)
-   -   My Volks has been uber reliable for 300K miles (said no one ever)! (https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/forum/6-used-car-discussion/18-my-volks-has-been-uber-reliable-300k-miles-said-no-one-ever.html)

manbridge 01-21-2014 03:58 PM

Tongue in cheek, but seriously how far and how much dough have you spent/saved on your 100K plus mile Kampfwagen?

MisterNoisy 01-21-2014 07:55 PM

Does my '87 Jetta count?¬* Bought it for $800 in '99 with 180K on the clock and drove it into the ground over the course of three years.¬* Engine was about as powerful as a pair of narcoleptic hamsters, but it kept on going, even when the rest of the car was less willing.¬* Eventually, at about 250K the transmission stopped shifting into fifth gear, which is what prompted me to get rid of it and get something newer/not falling apart/with working A/C.¬* The car then munched 4th on the way to shop for it's replacement, so I spent a few days tooling around town in 3rd gear at 5K RPM.¬* That little motor just kept on humming.

One thing I do miss about driving a succession of $800 crapcans is the junkyarding/U-Pull-It experience.¬* Being able to slowly improve/repair your POS on a slacker paycheck one piece at a time by cannibalizing it's fallen brethren was something of a rite of passage for my brother and I.¬* The crowning achievement of our junkyard adventures was locating a pair of Si seats in mint condition for his '86 Prelude and buying them one at a time because we were too broke to buy them both at once.

Good times, to be sure.

ScrapMetal 01-22-2014 02:52 AM

I owned a 1990 Jetta Carat(

LeeK 01-22-2014 04:20 AM

Ah, the age-old "all VWs are reliability nightmares" often espoused by the same set of posters on the main site comments. ¬*My Mk I GTI had only one problem (failed alternator) over ten years and 100k. ¬*My wife's MkV GTI had no issues at all in the eighteen months and 22k miles she drove, but was traded in on a Mk VI GTI that four years later has had one small issue (door lock control switch). ¬*She turned that over to me as she got a Touareg that has been flawless in the eighteen months she's owned it. ¬*Will the GTI and Treg go to 300k? ¬*Certainly not under our ownership, as I generally keep my cars about 10 years at the most. ¬*But this constant set of dire warnings about owning a VW from the same set of posters is getting tiresome.

VW's record in the late 90s and early 2000s was deservedly poor. ¬*The Mk IV era (Passat, Golf, Jetta, New Beetle) wano marked by some pretty bad choices on VW's part regarding design and supplier quality. ¬*Things picked up with the Mk V era (2007 on) and the brand as a whole as objectively listed by JD Powers and Consumer Reports has been steadily rising out of the basement. ¬*It is firmly mid-pack and will most likely see improvement as the latest generation of Beetle and Touareg get counted in the statistics.

tuffjuff 01-22-2014 04:55 AM

I read the responses of this thread with great interest, my next vehicle probably being a JGC or Acura MDX but a part of my heart always longing for a Touareg.

"You can get a CPO for $35k!" I say, then I remember VW's reputation for quality and product longevity and it kills the thought. Kills it dead.

LeeK 01-22-2014 05:40 AM

The T1 Touareg (2004 to 8) had a lot of issues and ended up on Consumer Reports Used Cars to Avoid list as the worst of the worst.¬* But the T2 (2009, 10) was better in regards to reliability and the current T3 generation (2011 on) is a very solid ride.¬* As I have stated, mine has been flawless and the only issue I'm aware of is on diesel models that VW has fixed with new parts and software upgrades of the AdBlue emissions system, all under warranty.

educatordan 01-22-2014 06:08 AM

LeeK said The T1 Touareg (2004 to 8) had a lot of issues and ended up on Consumer Reports Used Cars to Avoid list as the worst of the worst.¬* But the T2 (2009, 10) was better in regards to reliability and the current T3 generation (2011 on) is a very solid ride.¬* As I have stated, mine has been flawless and the only issue I'm aware of is on diesel models that VW has fixed with new parts and software upgrades of the AdBlue emissions system, all under warranty. I had a gift subscription to Consumer Reports for a while back in 2011 or so, their take on VW? The most reliable models had the letters GTI somewhere in their name.

Land Ark 01-22-2014 06:54 AM

I owned a 6-year-old¬*'97 A6 and it has completely put me off European cars all together. And while I openly admit that is unfair and makes no sense, the experience was so bad that I still have flashbacks any time I consider one. I never remember how awesome it was in the snow, or how quiet and smooth it was, or that a ton of tiny little details made it really nice. Only the bad stuff.

I'd love to own an R32 or 335i, but I just can't do it.

And I suspect the owner of my car for the 6 years before I bought it had a completely different ownership experience than me.

LeeK 01-22-2014 08:20 AM

PrincipalDan, in the next couple of weeks the Consumer Reports annual April car issue will be published.¬* Last year, Volkswagen ranked number 18 (out of 28) in their reliability ratings.¬* While certainly nothing to crow about, it does show statistically that VW is getting their act together, which is doubly difficult considering how the industry as a whole is improving.¬* CR shows the Tennessee-made Passat to have above average reliability.

There are going to be VW bashers forever, usually because some VW did them wrong ten to fifteen years ago.¬* It is going to take another decade to erase most (but not all) of those bitter memories.¬* If Hyundai (number 17 in CR's list) can do it, so can VW.¬* Anyone remember when the Excel was known as the biggest pile of excrement on the planet?

JMII 01-22-2014 01:19 PM

LeeK said VW's record in the late 90s and early 2000s was deservedly poor. ¬*The Mk IV era (Passat, Golf, Jetta, New Beetle) wano marked by some pretty bad choices on VW's part regarding design and supplier quality. Our '00 VW Passat 1.8T was a nightmare, but only after the warranty ran out. We owned it for 13 years and 100K miles, but during the first 3-4 years the car was GREAT. Only later did odd, stupid, little things creep up again and again. Amazingly despite this being the sludge and coil pack engine all our problems with various electrical gremlins and general cheapness of the interior. I've never had a car fall apart so badly. Prime example: the glove box door handle BROKE off! How does that even happen? The door was opened TWICE a year to change out the insurance paperwork. We replaced each and every window regulator plus the drivers side TWICE. This flaw is so common in VeeDubs it's almost not worth mentioning. The day we traded it in the controls (knob/switch) to the sunroof fell out... so much for German engineering. I wanted so bad to just in into a lake. Personally my wife will never own another VW, but I realize there are good ones and bad ones. My brother has owned (and loved) THREE over the years. That includes an Passat, a 337 Golf and currently a bad azz Golf R. He has modded all of them with aftermarket suspension, ECU upgrades and bigger rims/tires. No issues. However he also ditches them after about 3 years.