View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 08:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
jhefner

I have seen a trio of cars sitting in a field in Grand Prairie ever since I started commuting to my new job.* But, a recent brush fire revealed them in all of their glory; and just last week, I realized the one in the middle is a 1936 Chrysler Airflow; with a 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado on one side and what I think is a 1940s Chevrolet Delux on the other. The chrome strip on the side helped date it to 1936; I would have to measure the wheelbase to see if it is a CV8 or maybe an Imperial CV10.* Notice the front and back doors are the same, just turned around.* The engine sat directly over the front axle, while the rear seat was ahead of the rear axle, giving it a modern 55/45 weight distribution.* Along with leaf springs on all four wheels, it gave it an unusually smooth ride for it's time; even with the primitive solid beam front axle. The trunk helped me to date it to 1936; the 1934-1935 Airflows did not have one. You can see how it was welded in place. The Airflow dashboard had the steering wheel in the middle, a glove box on each side, and the guages in the now-empty holes on each side of where the steering column was. Cars of the 1920s-1930s had canvas roofs because they did not have stamping machines capabile of forming something as large as a roof with the compound curve to it. By 1937 they could, but Chrysler could not afford to retool the Airflow's roof, so a steel plug was inserted where the canvas roof used to be. At a time when most carmakers mounted their headlights on top of the fenders, the Airflow had it's headlights flush mounted in the nose.* The Airflow had a drag coefficient of 0.50 at a time when most cars were around 0.74 (and were more aerodynamic if driven backwards), today's cars are around 0.30. Chrysler's straight eight with an aluminum head would have been fitted; it produced 112-145HP depending on the size of the engine, which depended on trim level. Notice the remaining solid front axle, which sat directly under the engine.
jhefner is offline   Reply With Quote