LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2014, 05:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Sajeev recently recommended replacing the springs on a long term keeper as regular maintenance.¬* When and how does one know to replace springs outside of complete failure?¬* What do you look for?

I am not interested in stiffer springs as my Jag handles well and rides extremely well now but at 90K miles it may need some items replaced.¬* Thanks in advance, John McP
jdmcomp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 05:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Springs are hard to tell when they need to be replaced. And generally you don't NEED to replace them unless they are broken. But since they degrade so gradually over a long period of time, you may never notice that they are weak.

If your car is getting up in miles, like say over 150k, and you plan to replace the shocks, I'd say go ahead and replace the springs too. They have to be off the car anyway if you have struts in front. And I'd suggest you are more likely to notice a difference with new rears because of how much weight transfers onto them when you drive. And while it's apart, you should also replace the major bushings as well. Doing this will make the car feel completely reborn.

If you aren't planning to do any of that work and you're not concerned about any handling issues, I'd suggest leaving it alone until you are.
Land Ark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2015, 01:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

The dealer's solution is going to be to drain the the tank through its built in drain plug and possibly/likely purge the fuel lines. This likely won't be covered under warranty, as the source of the problem was likely external to the vehicle itself.¬*

¬*

aliiiii

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forum - The Truth About Cars forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.