LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2014, 06:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

¬*My 2008 6cyl Mustang has a new {last summer} battery.¬*The car has¬*been ¬*parked in my unheated¬* garage since Nov 1st. Every month or so I give it 2 hrs on a trickle charger 2 amp.

I notice today that the clock is dim, and the interior lights aren't working. How long can a I leave the trickle charger on?¬*¬*Can 2 amps fry a battery?¬*
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 07:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

It depends on the charger. I use one that self-regulates when the batteries are fully charged only giving an occasional boost to maintain the charge. Some could over charge the battery causing the damage you describe
Lie2me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 07:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

If you plan to let the car sit for a few months at a time, just pull the battery and bring it inside
badcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

If you plan to let the car sit for a few months at a time, just pull the battery and bring it inside

Not necessary if you use the right charger. I have battery mounted chargers on all my cars, when not in use I just plug them in and they're ready to go the next time. Pulling batteries is a pain in the butt
Old 02-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Battery tender
fredtal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 10:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

fredtal said Battery tender Correct, or battery minder they're all a type of charger
Old 02-16-2014, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to educatordan

Yup, battery tender/minder is the answer. I've got a Battery Tender Jr. It always worked well for me with my scooter that got parked for weeks at a time.¬*
Owner 1967 Ford Mustang Convertible: 289V8, Cruise-o-matic transmission, vintage burgundy exterior, black interior and top, MSD Ignition, true dual 2.5 in exhaust system, Ford 9in rear. Owned since July 2013, in family since 1967.

DD: 2004 Ford F150 Heritage, single cab, bench, crank windows, 4.6V8, automatic, aftermarket flatbed, Dynomax cat back dual exhaust. Owned since 2006. 2010 Toyota Highlander, V6 AWD, three row, family truckster ¬*
educatordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 04:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have to park my DD outside so I rigged up a battery warmer with an onboard trickle charger that I plug in every night. Even with temp going as low as -20DF I haven't had even a hesitation when starting my car. I highly recommend the combo for cold weather starts
Old 04-18-2014, 07:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

A couple people have hit the nail on the head with a battery tender. It turns itself on and off as needed so as not to fry the battery or let it drain down too low. If you leave a trickle charger on too long (over a day) or skip a month you're going to do damage to your battery. A tender you can leave on indefinitely, longest I've seen was two years on a co workers boat battery. I would in your case recommend checking your battery posts and cable corrosion as well.

source: three plus years of selling batteries for a living.
catachanninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forum - The Truth About Cars forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.