LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

My 2013 Regal GS has the stock Pirelli P-Zero P255/35-ZR20 summer rated 20 inch tires.

We have a trip to Reno at the beginning of March from San Francisco to Reno. This, of course, involves driving I-80 from SF to Reno, and back, over Donner Pass.

Assuming that I-80 is clear, and there is no snow forecast, would you drive this car on this trip with the stock "summer only" tires? Or am I just begging to crash and burn?

In January 2012 I drove to Reno from SF, and 80 was completely clear.* It was cold, but there was no snow on the Interstate.*

What are "summer only" tires?
the_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to educatordan

Summer tires can get hard and slick in cold temperatures, winter rated tires stay grippy in cold conditions even when there isn't any ice and snow. This is why if you have summer rated rubber and live in an area where it only gets very cold with little snow many experts still recommend winter rubber.*
Owner 1967 Ford Mustang Convertible: 289V8, Cruise-o-matic transmission, vintage burgundy exterior, black interior and top, MSD Ignition, true dual 2.5 in exhaust system, Ford 9in rear. Owned since July 2013, in family since 1967.

DD: 2004 Ford F150 Heritage, single cab, bench, crank windows, 4.6V8, automatic, aftermarket flatbed, Dynomax cat back dual exhaust. Owned since 2006. 2010 Toyota Highlander, V6 AWD, three row, family truckster *
educatordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 03:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Assuming there is no snow, and you aren't taking the Lincoln Hwy. you should be fine. I would say take it easy on the harder bends and if there is a chance of snow you should re-think the trip.

When it's time to replace them, get a set of all-seasons. They'll wear longer, ride a bit better around town,*and more than likely you won't push them beyond their limits.

How do you like the GS overall?
Land Ark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm not familiar with the road/conditions at play, but maybe consider renting something for the trip? Much better off safe than sorry. If you do, be sure to give us the review!!
badcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Summer tires are OK on dry roads, just take it easy. They won't suddenly lose all traction as soon as the temp drops below 40. Sub-optimal, but not the end of the world, and I don't think worth renting something else.
Of course if there is unexpected weather, you are in deep ****. Or more likely a snowbank somewhere off the side of a cliff.
burgersandbeer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forum - The Truth About Cars forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.