LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2014, 05:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

How convenient, this a forum, opened right around the start of my problem!

I went to fill my 2013 Equinox with gas¬*about a month ago, and when driving away from the pump afterward my check engine light came on. OnStar runs a diagnostic and tells me I have water in my fuel line, and to have my vehicle serviced immediately. A call to a local dealer suggests this could be less pressing and the next day I brutally injure my knee and am out of commission so I never did take it to the dealership to have formally looked at.

I tried a bottle or two of Heat and the light went away, only to come back a few days later with the same error. I can't tell if this is the problem with Wisconsin weathers, but I've never had this issue before in any other car (or I did, and the light never came on, hmmm...) so I can't tell if I should up the ante with some Seafoam or if this is something that's actually of concern. Having missed 3 weeks, unpaid, of work, I can't exactly swing a dealership bill if it turns out to be something not covered under warranty.
Also, it drives and acts fine, and has had no problems starting even with our recent -20 degree days, so I can't tell how big a deal this actually is, if at all.

Any ideas, oh B&B?
tuffjuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 09:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

If the car runs and drives fine then it shouldn't really be a huge problem.¬* Water in gas from filling up is not as common as it used to be.¬* It used to be a more common problem before gas stations were mandated to switch to fiberglass tanks from coated steel, but not so common now among modern service stations.¬* If you tend to let your car run almost to empty before filling it up this can cause problems, as condensation will build up on the exposed walls of the tank and lead to water pooling in the bottom of the tank.¬* This is true even on the composite tank your truck has.¬* As the water is denser than gas, it will sink to the bottom of the tank, so it doesn't take much for your fuel pickup to suck in water.¬*

The dealer's solution is going to be to drain the the tank through its built in drain plug and possibly/likely purge the fuel lines. This likely won't be covered under warranty, as the source of the problem was likely external to the vehicle itself.¬*

If it were me, I would fill it up (using gas from a different service station) and just drive and monitor it.¬* From your post it seems like you haven't really put many miles on the vehicle since the incident happened -- or possibly even burned through the original tank of gas.¬* You won't do damage to the engine.¬* If you can, try to stay away from E-10 blends, as these will absorb considerably more water than non-alcohol gasoline.¬* Unfortunately, this usually involves stepping up to premium gas.¬*
kmoney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

kmoney said If the car runs and drives fine then it shouldn't really be a huge problem.¬* Water in gas from filling up is not as common as it used to be.¬* It used to be a more common problem before gas stations were mandated to switch to fiberglass tanks from coated steel, but not so common now among modern service stations.¬* If you tend to let your car run almost to empty before filling it up this can cause problems, as condensation will build up on the exposed walls of the tank and lead to water pooling in the bottom of the tank.¬* This is true even on the composite tank your truck has.¬* As the water is denser than gas, it will sink to the bottom of the tank, so it doesn't take much for your fuel pickup to suck in water.¬* ¬* The dealer's solution is going to be to drain the the tank through its built in drain plug and possibly/likely purge the fuel lines. This likely won't be covered under warranty, as the source of the problem was likely external to the vehicle itself.¬* ¬* If it were me, I would fill it up (using gas from a different service station) and just drive and monitor it.¬* From your post it seems like you haven't really put many miles on the vehicle since the incident happened -- or possibly even burned through the original tank of gas.¬* You won't do damage to the engine.¬* If you can, try to stay away from E-10 blends, as these will absorb considerably more water than non-alcohol gasoline.¬* Unfortunately, this usually involves stepping up to premium gas.¬* Thanks for the response. She's since seen another fill-up, but here in Wisconsin it's pretty much all E10 in the winter unless you're buying premium. On my next fill-up, and treat her with the good stuff.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

In case anybody ever runs into this with an Equinox or Terrain and is too lazy to Google it, it turns out there might be somewhat of a small TSB type of situation with a sensor or two: http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=7722.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forum - The Truth About Cars forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.