LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Friends,

I have a 2007 Legacy base model, 70k miles with NA engine, 5MT.

Never missed a dealer service, not driven hard, completely stock, 70% highway miles. ¬*

I'm trying to trade it in for another Subie, a WRX.¬*

So the dealer disappears with my car into their shop and comes back 5-10 minutes later saying they can't give me much as the headgasket is "about to go".

How do they determine this just by looking?

Either the headgasket is leaking or it isn't n'est ce pas? ¬*

Some quick googling suggests I check the coolant for proper level and oil for foaming.¬*

Coolant and oil seem OK, so is there something else a layman can check for signs of imminent headgasket failure?

Thanks
mikesae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 01:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Dude is pulling the wool over your eyes.¬* First of all, she's a Subaru, so it has TWO head gaskets, not one.¬* Second, a good subaru shop should be able to do the head gaskets pretty inexpensively in house.¬* Third, I thought that the head gasket issues that Subaru's are noted for were resoved long before your 2007 came along.

And finallly, there are two modes of head gasket operation.¬* Broken, or working.¬* They don't show signs of "about to go out."¬* The indications of a headgasket problem are signs of FAILURE, not impending failure.

I'd tell the guy he just cost himself a sale and move on to the next dealer.
troyohchatter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 02:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'd venture to guess either they don't want your car or they are just trying to get it cheap.

As troy just mentioned, yes, head gasket issues have not been common with 2005+ Legacies. Common signs are just what you mentioned. Check under the oil fill cap and see if it looks milky. If it does, your head gasket is gone, not going. If not it's fine.

If you're concerned about it I'd suggest either taking it to another shop and get a pre-sale inspection (not mentioning the head gasket) and selling it yourself or if you don't want to bother, and there is a CarMax near you, take it there as you'll likely get about what a dealer would pay in trade for yours.

Either way, I'd avoid that dealer.
Land Ark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

A hydrocarbon test of the coolant would reveal the presence of - hydrocarbons and would indicate the potential of a failed (not failing) head gasket. The test is very easy to do and very cheap. If you've ever watched COPS, it is very similar to the test they do to potential drugs on the side of the road. Take some of your coolant, add a chemical, the more yellow it turns, the higher level of hydrocarbons. Look at a chart, at some point the presence means problem. But hydrocarbons in the coolant are only an indicator of head gasket problems. Loss of compression, clouds of white smoke, exploding coolant out of the low pressure tank that is all foamed up, those are signs of a failed head gasket.

I agree with the above posters - head gaskets have two states, intact, and failed. There isn't, almost failed. You aren't almost pregnant.¬*You aren't almost hired.¬*I would say there is a 99.99% chance the dealer was trying to get your car cheap for trade to pad the deal, or feels they will have issues selling your car for some reason (beyond a bad head gasket).

If you're now worried that they may not have been lying to you, almost any independent mechanic can run a coolant hydrocarbon test for free or a few bucks. If the Subbie fails next step would be a compression test (more bucks). If the coolant is not foamy or smells of oil/exhaust, and there isn't "snot" in the crank and on the oil fill cap on the engine (kind of looks like buttery snot), and you pass a hydrocarbon test,¬*the dealer was trying to scam you. Move on.

SHOW: Holden conversion including badges, Holden backup assist, Holden triple digital center console gauges, custom made Holden instrument cluster calibrated for US MPH, front clip shaved w/ painted lower grilles, matte black hood scoops, clear bra, 35% tint, auto dimming mirror, Homelink, bass bias mod, VG shark fin antenna, Vehicle In Motion modification, Bluetooth, full size spare w/ GM jack kit provided by Pace, glovebox light, white fuse covers, Rotofab radiator cover, engine cover custom painted w/ SS trim, billet aluminum engine bay trim, SS hood liner, Maverick Man billet fasteners, MGP caliper covers, Third Shift Studios plaque, JBL MS-8, Morel speakers all around, SAS 10" sub, Redline Goods rear armrest

GO: Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 91 tune, Billet Prototypes white catch can, modded lower grille, Solo Performance¬*axle backs; DBA 4000 series rotors; Russell SS brake lines; ATE Blue; Hawk ceramic pads, Camaro SS 20s 245/35F & 275/30R with custom center caps

0-60 MPH: 5.01 Seconds | 1/4 Mile: 13.354 Seconds @ 105.85 MPH | 290kW / 572Nm DynoJet uncorrected
HoldenSSVSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

You can get the test for HC in your coolant from Napa for about $35 bux

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Leak-Detector-Kit-Engine-Block-Test-Tools-Inc-/_/R-BK_7001006_0361165456
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 01:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks all! Will try the hydrocarbon test and report back.

I've babied this car to the point of OCD, so for it to lose a headgasket at 70k miles would spell the end of Subarus for me.
mikesae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 02:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

How you drive doesn't necessarily impact the life of your head gasket. Of course, if you red line every shift or generally drive like you live in New Jersey or Maryland, yes, it can cause lots of bad things to happen. Especially if you don't keep up with coolant changes. Head gaskets generally fail over time due to imperfections in the manufacturing process (be that poor materials, small cracks or gaps, or the wrong material for the type of coolant) and neglect. If you don't change your coolant at the recommended intervals or if you drive without enough coolant and overheat the engine - even if it just runs hotter than normal for a while, you're causing damage. Eventually it will fail if you let it go long enough. So you can baby it, without maintaining the coolant, and it can go even before 70k.

So if it turns out nothing is wrong with your car, I would never return to that dealer and warn others.
Land Ark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2015, 11:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have the title, but it is an Oregon salvage due to Theft. I am selling as is, title included if you want it, but I don't know what it would take to get a NC title. My loss............!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2015, 08:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

^
Fat plus to this guys
denik1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forum - The Truth About Cars forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.