LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Six months ago, I was given a 1976 BMW 2002 - sans interior, a bad motor, and tired paint. But the body is mostly straight, and has very little rust, so I figured it might make a fun motor swap car. Three months ago, I bought a wrecked 1991 BMW 318is and salvaged the nice-running M42 motor and 5 speed transmission. Coincidentally, the guy I got the wreck from abandoned his plans to make the same swap (his '02 was deemed "too nice") and he'd already bought motor and transmission mount adapters. With any luck, I'll end up with a clean little classic daily driver with a more modern drivetrain.¬* More photos HERE.
stevelyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Oh. I thought this was going to be about an LS3 swap.

I'm jealous. Love that 2002 and it should be a great car with the 318i engine. Great deal, and great job so far.
JGlanton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've got an E30 318is (with M42). I love the drivetrain, but I would suggest getting¬*a lighter¬*flywheel and making sure there's an LSD in good shape installed¬*before it goes in the car.

Any thoughts on wheel/tire size for the 2002?
tedward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

surely it will become a real beauty. some pictures after you have finished would be decent
m_grimm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2017, 12:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yes, love to see more of it! It was 1972 when I spotted one in a BMW's dealer lot, a 1969.
I had been reading every car mag I could get my hands on, especially R&T two years before I was discharged from the Air Force in 1968. . Article after article on BMWs.

I loved that car, although it would lean in turns it never lost grip. The finely tuned suspension, good tires, and light weight kept it planted. I can't recall now, but it seemed they did not come with a sway bar on one end or the other. Something I planned to remedy at some point, but never did. It did need clutch work about a year after I bought it. And I am not hard on clutches, so I was a little disappointed.

It could have used more power, thinking back now, and at the time I would have liked more but the car has so many positive attributes, in ride, handling, braking, and overall fit and finish, it was easy to overlook. The greenhouse windows certainly made for great visibility as well. I am quite sure nothing shifted so slick as that gearbox. The MX5 comes close, some 40 years later.
Anyway, wish I had it today. I will have to live vicariously through you as you work your magic on that bimmer!

Last edited by dbeshans; 10-17-2017 at 12:14 AM.
dbeshans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2020, 07:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks
TimothyMSilverman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2020, 09:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

This is an old motor

https://jiji.ng/victoria-island/cars/bmw-x6-2017-white-JMfDktqbf5d2slobv6whDyf.html?lid=wdlH9j3sbDSN3A4W& cur_pos=1&pos=1&ads_count=711&ads_per_page=20&page =1[/URL][/URL]

Last edited by Shugudun; 05-16-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Shugudun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2020, 12:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

BMW 02 Series is a true treasure. I was looking for this model for ages but bad luck.
BrunoAr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forum - The Truth About Cars forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.