LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

and will there be a market for it? There are a few one-off customs out there, but what would be the market for a F350/Ram3500/Silverado3500 "Family Cab?"*

Picture a LWB truck with a 5" bed and an elongated cab that has 4 full door can seat 7-9. Similar to the Ram Mega-cabs but maybe a foot or two more cab. Since prices on that sort of vehicle are in the 50k+ range, the margins should be pretty good.*

I see a few kinds of potential buyers -- Contractors who can use it to transport an entire crew in place of 2-3 trucks they may be using now. People who use a truck for work and personal use and have the need to transport larger numbers of people on occasion, or People who would probably otherwise buy an SUV to tow a boat, RV, Horses, Etc. and need the space and hauling capacity.

What do you all think? it wouldn't be terribly hard to do with the current platforms, and althougt it is a niche vehicle, it wouldn't require a lot of new design and tooling to pay for.
badcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 04:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to educatordan

Nah...*

I don't see it selling. Suburban with a trailer is more likely for someone who wants that for the few times they actually carry something.*
Owner 1967 Ford Mustang Convertible: 289V8, Cruise-o-matic transmission, vintage burgundy exterior, black interior and top, MSD Ignition, true dual 2.5 in exhaust system, Ford 9in rear. Owned since July 2013, in family since 1967.

DD: 2004 Ford F150 Heritage, single cab, bench, crank windows, 4.6V8, automatic, aftermarket flatbed, Dynomax cat back dual exhaust. Owned since 2006. 2010 Toyota Highlander, V6 AWD, three row, family truckster *
educatordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ive seen several 6 door ford HD trucks, one is a contractor, I'm almost positive it was a factory order.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

No, I don't think it would fly because it gets dangerously close to something like this... ...and as much as people like big vehicles, nobody wants to drive a limo
Lie2me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forum - The Truth About Cars forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.