LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2015, 11:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

In these days when many baby boomers are considering their maybe last car in life, where the most important feature is the ease of getting your stiffening body in and out of the front seats, you will also be offered a long list of electronic gadgets guaranteeing that your first trip with your new car will not be your last. And if answering your cell phone doesn’t distract you enough, you will also get a large iPad-type screen well out of your normal sightline when driving; making the auto brake features a necessity, if not for yourself, for others.

But not long ago you was driving very simple cars with very worn tires, and after the first late autumn snowfall you couldn’t resist trying some nice controlled drifting in EVERY road bend, mastering it in the late winter, to your girlfriend’s annoyance. Remember?

That time, you had a future and some very good reasons for staying alive, but those days are gone. Still, somewhere deep in your backbone, the ability to do it again is saved for future use.

Once in northern Finland, I was the passenger in a 25 mile cab ride in a dark and very cold winter night. The road surface was only polished ice and could easily have been fit for a skating race; no salt, no sand. But the Mercedes driver really mastered this road surface, not very fast but very safe. I don’t think he ever turned the steering wheel more than a quarter of a turn; most of the steering was done with the accelerator pedal.

Now, this was car driving! Disclaimer: don’t try this at home if you’ve only experienced front wheel or all wheels driven cars with Spin Control and ABS brakes; it couldn’t be done with any amount of control.

Next, cars will be self steering. You can watch the late show in your own back seat.

My question to the TTAC crowd is: is there in market a no frills modern car, really fun to drive, with old fashioned tactile controls and meters, no electronic gadgets, only very good suspension and road holding, a nice powerful engine, robust and reliable, and with comfortable seats for a wide-assed retired old fashioned car lover. I don’t even care for car audio, any engine sounds better than today’s music. I will use it for fast trips along country roads when I’m fed up with everything else.
Jan Andersson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2015, 01:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

When I was much younger, I would put an 18 wheel semi truck into a drift just to see what it would look and feel like, it was different than a simple 4 wheel drift in a car, it took some skill to set it up, but was fun just the same! I am trying to set my garage up with what I think are my last pleasure cars, both are rear transaxle chevrolets, one a 65 corvair with. 3 spd manual and non synchro 1st gear, the other is 99 corvette c5 with 6spd and significantly longer legs, both cars are fun for different reasons!
j.grif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2015, 05:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

A used Ram 1500 pickup with a Hemi V8 and manual transmission?
NormSV650 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forum - The Truth About Cars forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.