LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Here's a great example of a car that we will never get due to a weak market and the fact that it would cost an obscene amount of money in North America: The VW Polo R. AWD, with a 250 horsepower 2.0T engine and a Fiesta-sized package. Sign me up.
Derek Kreindler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Autocar's preview drive estimated the price to be 21k GBP. For the record, a new Golf GTI in the UK goes for 26,125 GBP and a Golf R goes for 29,900 GBP.

The price of the car isn't so much of an issue as the fact that the market segment for the Polo R would probably be really limited. Too bad really.*
Sam P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sam P said Autocar's preview drive estimated the price to be 21k GBP. For the record, a new Golf GTI in the UK goes for 26,125 GBP and a Golf R goes for 29,900 GBP. The price of the car isn't so much of an issue as the fact that the market segment for the Polo R would probably be really limited. Too bad really.* It would still be too much for a subcompact hot hatch in North America, I'm afraid
Derek Kreindler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'd love to see the Ford Ranger on sale here. Instead of branding it as a Ranger, badge it as an Explorer Sport Trac to justify the pricing, stuff it with high margin option packages, and move a few units to the weekend warrior crowd. Discuss?
badcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to SexCpotatoes

NO effin way @badcoffee, you can't do anything that would ever give F150 shoppers any alternative. You don't poke the profit-bear.
SexCpotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

SexCpotatoes said NO effin way @badcoffee, you can't do anything that would ever give F150 shoppers any alternative. You don't poke the profit-bear. But GM is giving them an alternative with the Colorado/Sierra. Wouldn't you think that Ford would want to keep it's smaller truck buyer in house by offering it's own alternative?
Lie2me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'd like to see more station wagons, or at least trunks that allow me fit bulkier stuff in.* I don't really want to drive a high center of gravity, gas suckcing SUV when really a nice station wagon would do me fine.* Maybe a decent hatchback?*
fredtal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2014, 01:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Lie2me said But GM is giving them an alternative with the Colorado/Sierra. Wouldn't you think that Ford would want to keep it's smaller truck buyer in house by offering it's own alternative? Far wonkier accountants than you or I have done the math and decided that anyone who was going to spend their money with Ford should move-on-up to the F150. Pickup truck buyers are notoriously brand reliable, and while the tooling on the Ranger was probably paid off shortly after the Panther Platform, you're still looking at a compact truck that has to contend with safety concerns from YOUR full sized truck in a collision. All the major full size trucks are sold at a profit, even the stripper, single-cab, grey plastic poverty-grilled Silverado. The upmarket trucks are sold at obscene profits. There's a price/profit curve on everything. Say you start a clothing company selling T-shirts with Tommy Hilldinger brand name, you could charge $10/shirt and sell 1000 shirts and make $10k. OR you could price the shirts at $100, sell 200, and make $20k, then feel free to clearance out or destroy the remaining 800 shirts. The continued profit on the Ranger models in the US wasn't enough compared to the potential profit from some/most/but not all Ranger customers moving up to the F150. Ford probably said, screw the defectors, they'll be back, even if they're pushed into the used F150 market due to price. Plus there wasn't enough take on the 2.3L Manual Ranger to help hit the nut on Fuel Economy numbers!
Old 02-14-2014, 01:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

sorry for the double post, dunno how that happened, can delete this one
Old 02-14-2014, 03:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

@ SexCpotatoes, I see your point, but what do the bean counters at GM see differently that makes a smaller truck viable for them and not Ford.
Lie2me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forum - The Truth About Cars forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.