LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Well, it's about 88F where I am in NC, driving around I had a moment of sadness.

This has been discussed to infintum...

Where are all my open tops SUV's at!!!?

I see almost all soft top Jeeps with the Bimini's or¬*completely topless.

Putting miles on my scout or¬*hmco¬*while highly enjoyable really¬*isn't a desirable thing to do.¬*

But nothing else is out there but Jeeps, Most K5's/bronco's have either been moved to collector status, in bad shape/unroadworthy, or bad shape mud diggers. There is really nothing else available, even selling 250k a year Jeep can't appeal to everyone. It's barely even a midsize truck. While we have a company that solves the V8 problem, 5.7 or 6.4 FTW!, it still doesn't solve the size problem.

Does no automaker really see it possible to sell at least 100k a year?

I mean Nissan wasted time on the convertible CUV, that thing sells what? 50 a year? Is there no profits on simply taking a frame from a regularcab/shortbed pickup and adding a bucket to the front cab, rollover bar, rear bench seat, fiberglass top? - Seems like money to me.

Don't waste time on electronics, manual everything, vinyl seats, ****, optional A/C

Fun is a word sorely lacking from the Auto manufacturing world it seems.

Recap Take Regular cab/ short bed pickup, remove bed; Add a hollow bucket with fiberglass removable top, add bench seat over rear axle, profit???, Starting price of 28k, which seems....

Well WTF, let me make a stop mid post, I just looked up a chevy¬*regular cab short bed 4x4, WT, ie, V6 no options pickup, Fregging thing stickers at over 30k. Well let's ignore GM's extremely ridiculous price and look at RAM, well over 28k, Ford can't be so ridiculous they have an extremely old truck...¬* WTF 4x4 adds almost 5k, total over 29k.

Looks like I have a boat but no motor, I guess fullsize prices would have to get reasonable before that ever happened. How can any of these companies actually ask 30k for the most base of the base pickups with the only option being 4x4? Go back to solid axles if that's the premium of IFS.

Off topic sorry, anyone want to comment on anything?
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to educatordan

Hummer, you do realize that you can't even get a "base" BOF SUV anymore, right?¬*

No plummer's special vinyl seat, rubber floor, manual trans, 4x4 solid axle, diesel, etc...¬*
Owner 1967 Ford Mustang Convertible: 289V8, Cruise-o-matic transmission, vintage burgundy exterior, black interior and top, MSD Ignition, true dual 2.5 in exhaust system, Ford 9in rear. Owned since July 2013, in family since 1967.

DD: 2004 Ford F150 Heritage, single cab, bench, crank windows, 4.6V8, automatic, aftermarket flatbed, Dynomax cat back dual exhaust. Owned since 2006. 2010 Toyota Highlander, V6 AWD, three row, family truckster ¬*
educatordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Of course I know that, everyone here has heard me whine about that. But the absolute ease of using a base truck as I described seems to offer the ability to make the package without having to touch the CUV-infied BoF SUVs they offer now.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to educatordan

Hey I only mention it because that was the type of Suburban or 2-door Tahoe I always wanted. Who cares if your kid pukes it? Just hose it out.
Owner 1967 Ford Mustang Convertible: 289V8, Cruise-o-matic transmission, vintage burgundy exterior, black interior and top, MSD Ignition, true dual 2.5 in exhaust system, Ford 9in rear. Owned since July 2013, in family since 1967.

DD: 2004 Ford F150 Heritage, single cab, bench, crank windows, 4.6V8, automatic, aftermarket flatbed, Dynomax cat back dual exhaust. Owned since 2006. 2010 Toyota Highlander, V6 AWD, three row, family truckster ¬*
educatordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Don't you remember this? It was sold from 1989-1994 and it sold miserably. I don't think it would sell as well as you think it should.
Lie2me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 05:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

No, I have definately never seen one of those in my life, either way it doesn't match what I was talking about.

-fullsize

-SUV

-removable hardtop

-V8
Old 04-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hummer said No, I have definately never seen one of those in my life, either way it doesn't match what I was talking about. -fullsize -SUV -removable hardtop -V8 " Is there no profits on simply taking a frame from a regularcab/shortbed pickup and adding a bucket to the front cab, rollover bar, rear bench seat, fiberglass top?" regularcab/shortbed pickup rollover bar -removable hardtop (Well, it was canvas) -V8 Pretty close, I'd say, point is the Dakota Convertible¬* was a flop, don't expect one anytime soon
Old 04-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Come on, to say that's close is to try and also use the rogue convertible as an example, or compare a civic to a Ferrari.

of course that was a flop, its tiny, and the bed I doesnt even look attached to the cab.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

It's a BOF RWD/4X4 V8 Dakota pick-up truck... Give the people what they want is the surest way to go out of business.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

Pickup trucks and camrys seem to sell well, people getting what they want and all.

Its a compact, and looks like a cab with a chopped roof.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forum - The Truth About Cars forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.