LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2014, 07:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

I found this article at R&T really fascinating. *I'd be interested in a similar list from the TTAC contributors.
harryc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to educatordan

Interesting and I would agree with several of them (if V8 W-bodys did eat transmissions for lunch I'd agree with the Grand Prix nomination.)*

Syclone/Typhoon was a great one, would have been better if GM had allowed the engine to be installed in a car but classic GM that would have threatened the Corvette.*

Cars that I feel are often overlooked for greatness (when considered in the context of their time) would be the GM 1982 to mid 90s A-bodys (Celebrity, Century, 6000, Cutlass Ciera) which took the engineering done on the X-cars and turned those sows ears into silk purses. The X-cars disappeared quickly but the A-bodys sold in the 100s of thousands for many, many years. GM would kill for a sales success like that today. And they were durable - in my area of the country (Southwest) they are the most likely car from the mid 80s to be seen running around.*

The FOX platform for Ford is often overlooked for the role it had in keeping the company afloat in the early 80s. Ford came far closer to death than admitted at the time. The FOX was a success that made possible the investment that became the Taurus program.*

There's a couple off the top of my head.*
Owner 1967 Ford Mustang Convertible: 289V8, Cruise-o-matic transmission, vintage burgundy exterior, black interior and top, MSD Ignition, true dual 2.5 in exhaust system, Ford 9in rear. Owned since July 2013, in family since 1967.

DD: 2004 Ford F150 Heritage, single cab, bench, crank windows, 4.6V8, automatic, aftermarket flatbed, Dynomax cat back dual exhaust. Owned since 2006. 2010 Toyota Highlander, V6 AWD, three row, family truckster *
educatordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 03:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

I was aware of most of these having always been a fan of great cars that flew under the radar screen, for some reason I totally missed the GMC Syclone/Typhoon and wish I hadn't, fascinating. There are so many more that could be added to the list, any of the "pocket rockets" like the Omni GLH come to mind *
Lie2me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Are Sy/Tys really that overlooked? I thought everyone in carguyland knew about them?
Derek Kreindler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

XJ Cherokee. Saved a company and created the entire SUV craze in the process
badcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 04:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

badcoffee said XJ Cherokee. Saved a company and created the entire SUV craze in the process Absolutely!
Lie2me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forum - The Truth About Cars forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.