LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2014, 03:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

-Leno is done with the Tonight Show after the Olympics

-Good host and comedian, but a better car guy.

-NBC has expressed they still want him to be affiliated with then in some capacity.

-NBC signed a multi year deal with Mecum Auto Auctions.

-NBC has, over the last few years, built up¬*a reputable number of networks.

-With Discovery turning into the current version of VH1 with a bunch of reality TV that's about as interesting to me as watching paint dry, it seems there is a hole for this type of programming.

My prediction is Leno is going to be doing car stuff for NBC and will¬*be incredibly successful.¬* He's vanilla enough (and that's not an insult) to appeal to just about anyone and knowledgable enough not to be a pushover.¬* The best thing is he's got the comic chops of a Clarkson but is more in tune with what an American audience wants for this.¬* For all of the talk about Top Gear, it's never been a widespread success in the US.¬* I know quite a few people that simply don't get British humor and think Clarkson isn't funny in the least.¬* For them, Leno will be the answer.

Thoughts?
troyohchatter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 06:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don't know if Jay Leno's Garage makes NBC any money online, but this could easily be streamed through Netflix.¬* Of course, NBC owns Jay's ass, or so it seems.
86er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 05:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

It might work, for people who really don't get Top Gear. ¬*To me, Jay is so bland as to be barely worth watching. ¬*He never really feels like he is listening to his guests, and his car comments are rarely anything more than generic. ¬*I guess that fits with the Tonight Show vibe.

A big part of the success of Top Gear UK is the chemistry of the three presenters. ¬*It's pretty hard to have a single host and keep it interesting. ¬*I love Chris Harris, but even he couldn't do a full half hour or one hour show alone.
imag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 07:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

NBC has that sportschannel, that shows Indy car racing so he could expand his web series there if he wants.¬* Top Gear works because it's a comedy show about cars.¬* I don't have cable nor broadband so any kind of car show I can get I'll watch.¬* Heck I've even been known to watch Motorweek.
fredtal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 11:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

I certainly hope so. I enjoy Jay Leno's Garage not so much for Jay himself but the cool back stories behing his collection (his stolen Cyclone, having to 3d print parts for his Elan etc).¬*
Derek Kreindler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Derek Kreindler_1 said I certainly hope so. I enjoy Jay Leno's Garage not so much for Jay himself but the cool back stories behing his collection (his stolen Cyclone, having to 3d print parts for his Elan etc).¬* I find him as good a curator of everything on wheels as you are likely to find in North America.¬* Like any good curator, he is very well acquainted not only in a static, stats-based manner but also gets behind the wheel and is acquainted in a tactile manner that seemingly few big collectors subscribe to. Netflix would be a good home for his webisodes because their model isn't so much about eyeballs as it "airs".¬* It's something you watch at your leisure and certainly his name and his well-deserved reputation as a collector par excellence would be a benefit to the diminishing amount of entertainment for car enthusiasts.
86er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forum - The Truth About Cars forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.