LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2015, 11:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Trucks Are the New Aspirational Vehicle

Johan, take Cadillac and move over. Your boutique brand is no longer standard of the world (no real news flash there).

The Great American Luxobarge™ as we knew it has been supplanted by the Great American Luxobarge II. It's hard to deny that it's looking pretty darn resplendent to buyers of all colors, donning a well-tailored suit courtesy of the emperor's closet. Although the opera windows are long gone, the new greenhouse apertures are about as big. Rich Corinthian leather has been relegated to the dustbin of the past. Chic shoppers are now opting for all manner of off-road geegaws capable of taking them all the places they'll never go.

The highway liners of times past are being thoroughly outdone by what was once the working man's mainstay. Trucks are ferrying impatient children, towing exploratory craft and heating/cooling keisters with a degree of civility only dreamt of in the days when OPEC was king. Some things never change, except in degree. That also applies, perhaps, to sensibility.

But do you remember the scant black and white photographs of your folks' folks, dulled with time, edges soft from handling, buried in the family photo album? You know, the one where they posed, perhaps with their significant other, beaming in front of a shiny new Cadillac? There really was a time when it was the standard of the world. Thrifty people, bristling with character, would finally forego a lifetime of frugality in a brilliant climax of "I made it" American exceptionalism. As they handed over their personal check to the Cadillac dealer, they knew they were buying something special, something the whole world wanted. Something that they wanted.

In several decades, maybe you can replace some of those words, like photograph for SD card, and personal check with bank check. Even if it took 96 months, they'd have their success now, rolling advertisements for self-ascribed success. Maybe you'd also replace "Cadillac" with "Truck." Facebook is filled with couples, men, even women of all ages and walks of life who all universally believe that success is characterized by an unused transfer case and an empty bed. But they couldn't look happier.

Being a regular reader at TTAC, I know that truck articles get views, clicks and comments. It's not hard to see why. They mean a lot of different things to different people. For good or for ill, they're also America's guilty pleasure. Anyway, it's just a suggestion.
GermanReliabilityMyth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2015, 03:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

You say a lot in this post, used to be that a Cadillac had lots of room in the front seat and the back seat as well, all of the truly large cars are gone, pickup trucks fill that niche, they ride well, they handle as well as the old luxobargesof old, get better fuel economy tha the 472 and 500 cubic inch Caddys and will tow your travel trailer or boat as well, the only thing trucks really lack are styling of the big three body on frame cars( chryslers were unit body). I do remember the photographs of my parents cars, I also remember the cars, until my early teen years my dad drove small fords with 6 cylinder enginea and three on the tree transmissions, very frugal transportation, 4 brothers and 2 sisters ultimately required larger cars for when the family went on vacation or to family events. As far as guilty pleasures go, this isn't europe, different economic models give different standards of living!
j.grif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2015, 03:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Why are there no German or Italian pickup trucks, or even French pickup trucks? Maybe an idea for growth for the luxury brands besides the booming euro suv's.
j.grif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 07:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.grif View Post
Why are there no German or Italian pickup trucks, or even French pickup trucks? Maybe an idea for growth for the luxury brands besides the booming euro suv's.
Chicken tax. If anyone wants in the luxorig game, they will have to build it here. I doubt any of the current US plants are willing to trade the sure thing volume of the Lux SUV for a pickup.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

My friend recently open a new towing service in new York so he bought some American truck and Italian trucks after using some months he realized that American truck are giving best performance in the comparison of Italian truck, now he's gonna try some Russian truck will let you know about the performance after some time.
robertallinson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forum - The Truth About Cars forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.