LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

I didn't see a better spot to post this, so...

My wife has a 2013 Mitsubishi Evo. *It's a 2-year lease, and we're in the 13th month. *We have 10 payments left due to paying early. *We put nothing down on it, so everything was rolled into the lease except our trade, which the dealer wrote us a huge check for.

I got an offer to pull-ahead into a new lease on a 2014 where the bank will pay up to 9 payments on the old lease, and I can get what looks like the same lease deal we got last time, except this time there's a $1,000 mfr. rebate which would more than cover the extra payment!

My wife loves the car, and would love to extend the lease.

So far, it looks like we get everything we want for a lower monthly payment, and nothing out of pocket. *It seems too good to be true. *What am I missing?

P.S. We love leasing! *We enjoy having reliable, safe, new cars, and are unlikely to be swayed unless I fall in love with some over-depreciated 1-2 year-old that I would also only keep a few years.
qest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

This type of pull ahead lease deal has been offered to friends of mine, one for an upgrade from 2009 Toyota Matrix to a new 2012, the other from a 2010 Hyundai Elantra to a new 2013 (ya I have boring friends). They both happily accepted and don't regret it.

I suppose there nothing fishy about it... market demand for your used car + the need for the dealer to shift new units to make sales targets. everyone wins yay!
mikesae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

There's nothing shady or fishy about this, except that Mitsubishi desperately, and I mean DESPERATELY, needs to sell new cars.*

It's well established that I love new cars, and would happily make the same deal in your place. *
BarkM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 03:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, I wouldn't mind being "pulled ahead" into a new Evo out of, um, nothing.*
Jack Baruth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 03:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Update: Dealer tried to jerk us around, so it didn't happen. *Guess she's "stuck" in her 2013 until the end of the year. *#firstworldnon-problems
Old 02-15-2014, 02:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Funny. *I walked into a Mitsu dealership and said I was considering buying an Evo MR. *They didn't have one, but said they had three coming in the next month. *I left them a card. *That was November and they still haven't called me back.

At this point, it seems silly to buy because the Golf R and the STI both kill it. *

Question though: have you had to deal with the notorious Evo rattles? *That was one of my greatest concerns about the car.
imag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well, my point of view is they're noisy, evil cars. *My wife loves them. *Her Evo IX was even worse.

I asked her and she says she hasn't noticed any rattles, but she hardly drives it, so it's still practically new more than a year later.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forum - The Truth About Cars forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.