As Expected, Volkswagen's EV Platform to Breed a Big 'un
As we’ve seen with nearly all mainstream automakers, going without a three-row crossover is akin to cutting one’s throat. Large broods demand seating for seven or eight, environmental considerations be damned.
Volkswagen wants to keep the family together.
The automaker’s dedicated electric architecture, the MEB platform, is tapped to spawn numerous models in the coming years, from the basic I.D. hatchback and a relatively cheap stripper car to the two-row I.D. Crozz crossover and the I.D. Buzz microbus, but a family of vehicles needs a patriarch. Something big, so rival automakers don’t scoop up buyers in the very fledgling big family EV market.
Remember, Volkswagen anticipates that every human alive on earth will own five VW EVs within six or seven years. Okay, that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but only just. Few companies in the auto sphere, with the exception of Tesla, talk up the lofty sales potential of electric vehicles quite like like VW. History will be the judge.
But back to VW’s big crossover. The versatile platform makes many bodystyles possible, and, according to Autocar, the stretched bones beneath the Buzz microbus will be repurposed to underpin the three-row crossover, tentatively called the I.D. Lounge. Thus far, that’s the closest thing to an I.D. model name that doesn’t come across as cavity-inducing. Faint praise.
The model’s drivetrain is said to mirror that of the Buzz. Twin motors, one powering the front wheels and another motivating the rear, boast a combined output of 369 horsepower. A hefty 111 kWh battery should be capable of delivering 372 miles of range on the European driving cycle.
Below VW’s MEB flagship, the smaller Cross will spawn two variants, Autocar reports — a more conventional crossover, due out in 2021, and a swoopy, coupe-like model for style-obsessed greenies with two kids (see top image). The latter model should appear around the same time as the I.D. Lounge, in late 2022.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Bullnuke It may be awhile before these show up on US shores. The MV Fremantle Highway has just started demo/reconstruction in Rotterdam after the large fire when transporting its last shipment of electric Porsche products.
- Fie on Fiasler Big, fast and thirsty does not equal good. True luxury is not cobbled together by the UAW.
- Inside Looking Out I see it as gladiator races - only one survives in virtual world.
- Crown They need to put the EcoDiesel back in the Grand Cherokee. I have a 2018 and it has been the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. 69,000 miles and only needed tires, and regular oil and fuel filter changes.
- El scotto Y'all are overthinking this. Find some young hard-charging DA seeking the TV limelight to lock this kid up. Heck, have John Boehner come up from Cincy to help the young DA get his political career going. Better yet, have the young DA spin this as hard as he or she can; I'm the candidate for Law and Order, I defied our go-easy office and leadership to get this identified criminal locked up. Oh this could be spun more than a hyper active kid's top.Now I'd do some consulting work for Little Kings Original Cream Ale and Skyline Chili.