Chart Of The Day: GM Set A Chevrolet SS Sales Record In June, Caprice PPV Sales Plunge
Often criticized for flopping in the U.S. marketplace, Chevrolet set a sales record with the Aussie-built SS in June 2015.
Prior to June’s “surge” up to a still rather paltry 354 units, Chevrolet hadn’t sold more than 300 SS sedans since March of last year, the only other time the SS has crested the 300-unit mark. June 2015 SS volume was four units stronger than the March record.
Year-to-date, SS sales are down 8% to 1,534 units, just 0.4 percent of Chevrolet passenger car volume through the first-half of 2015. Chevrolet sells twelve times that many Corvettes.
Meanwhile, GM’s other Australian import, the police-only Chevrolet Caprice PPV, is evidently disappearing from police departments’ wish lists. Caprice sales are down 54 percent to just 803 units through the first half of 2015.
Taurus Police Interceptor sales are falling, too. In fact, the Taurus alternative has suffered declining volume in each of the last seven months. Ford’s police sedan is down 5 percent this year, but it’s still more than six times as common as the SS. Ford’s Explorer Police Interceptor, on the other hand, is up 36 percent to 12,900 units in early 2015.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- ToolGuy Here is an interesting graphic, if you're into that sort of thing.
- ToolGuy Nice website you got there (even the glitches have glitches)
- Namesakeone Actually, per the IIHS ratings, "Acceptable" is second best, not second worst. The ratings are "Good," "Acceptable," "Marginal" and "Poor."
- Inside Looking Out "And safety was enhanced generally via new reversing lamps and turn signals fitted as standard equipment."Did not get it, turn signals were optional in 1954?
- Lorenzo As long as Grenadier is just a name, and it doesn't actually grenade like Chrysler UltraDrive transmissions. Still, how big is the market for grossly overpriced vehicles? A name like INEOS doesn't have the snobbobile cachet yet. The bulk of the auto market is people who need a reliable, economical car to get to work, and they're not going to pay these prices.