Finally, See Spielberg's "Duel" on the Big Screen (If You Can Get to Denver Monday)
Because the power of the Murilee Martin Lifestyle Brand™ is so extreme, the Alamo Drafthouse Theater in Denver has fallen under my spell and allowed me to select and introduce four car films, to be shown each Monday during their “Alamo Takes the Wheel” month of April (actually, it was the endorsement of Repo Man director Alex Cox, who teaches at the University of Colorado, that convinced the Alamo management that this idea wasn’t completely stupid). The first of those films is the amazing Duel, an all-time-great Malaise Era car movie that shouldn’t need any introduction for TTAC readers.
In fact, my original plan for these Monday car movies involved having four triple features, including such must-see car films as The Junkman and Blue Collar, but the Alamo management just gave me the same funny look that people give me when I talk about putting an LZ9 engine into a Cadillac Cimarron. Anyway, so they picked four films from my twelve-film list, and they’ll be showing one on each Monday in April. Duel shows on April 6 at 7:30 PM, and moviegoers are strongly encouraged to bring their coolest, weirdest, and/or hooptiest vehicles to show off in the theater parking lot beforehand.
Once Duel (which even I have never seen on the big screen) is done, we’ll have three more Monday movies selected and introduced by yours truly. These are:
Monday, April 13 at 7:30 PM: The Car
Monday, April 20 at 7:30 PM: Up In Smoke (Yes, this is actually one of the greatest car movies of all time, and you wastoids even get to see it on 4/20).
Monday, April 27 at 7:30 PM: Two-Lane Blacktop
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- SCE to AUX Reading between the lines, it sounds like they want to include electric production, distribution losses, and charging efficiency into MPGe figures.That makes no sense to me. Currently, MPGe is a simple calculation based on the car itself, by comparing its internal electric energy consumption with the energy of a gallon of gasoline.Imagine if the MPG of an ICE car included all the upstream efficiencies of the refinery, tanker truck, and gas pump. That would be ridiculous.Infrastructure efficiencies are best left to public policy debates, not Monroney stickers.
- Ajla Where's my tiny violin? 🎻
- Danddd I had a 1978 dark blue, not quite navy four door Rabbit. It was fun to drive coming off a '73 Super Beetle. But when the gremlins hit they hit hard. I hard wired the radiator fan with a switch because the relay quit working after I replaced it twice. Then there was the oil leaks. I gave up on German cars at that point until I had to have a 3 series wagon in 2006. First thing I noticed with the wagon was the same interior scent as the VW and just the Germaness of it all just to have that handling feel.
- Art_Vandelay What is this. Don't you Canadians have some SS Officers to honor?
- Art_Vandelay Gee that's too bad.