Junkyard Find: 1986 Chevrolet Sprint
Yesterday, we admired this El Camino-ized Geo Metro, which probably got all of you wondering about the badge-engineered Suzuki Cultus that The General sold before the Geo marque existed. Wonder no more— here’s a genuine Chevy Sprint awaiting consumption by The Crusher!
Three cylinders, unapologetically cheap interior, sticker price even lower than that of the wretched Hyundai Excel.
In accordance with General Motors tradition (which persisted well into the 1990s in some models), the odometer in this car shows only five digits. Is it possible that this car has just 32,561 miles on the clock? 132,561 is a lot more likely, but you never know.
The “hood ornament” is actually a hood release button.
Remember Chevrolet’s short-lived infatuation with this blue color for emblems?
Carburetion and one liter of displacement. Not a lot of power, but not much to go wrong.
Gets better fuel economy than any other four-passenger car in America (the Honda CRX HF was a two-passenger car), and it loves to run!
Translation: if you’re ready to take a (short) step up from your moped, this is the car for you!
Of course, the Japanese-market ad for the same car is just… classier.
ShoogyBee on Jun 20, 2013
In the late 80s and very early 90s, there was a local pizza establishment (I believe it was Pizza Pit) in Madison, WI that had a substantial fleet of bright red Chevy Sprints and Geo Metros for their delivery drivers. There probably wasn't a higher concentration of Sprints and Metros in the US at the time than in Madison.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- InCogKneeToe BUILD It and they will come.By Build It, I mean a Vehicle that the Customer Wants and it works for them. It could be called Chevette for all that that matters. The Mach E's success isn't because it totes the Mustang on it.Just build what people want, the next Caravan/Taurus/Beetle/Maverick (truck).
- YellowDuck Wait...how do you make a mid-engine crossover? Or even a 4-door coupe? Me not get.
- 28-Cars-Later Thanks Corey. The head stud job on NOrthSTAR-T was $3K *years ago* as it involves an engine pull so rear wheel arch rust in and of itself isn't a show stopper. I'll be sure to check out the trunk as it may start to add up on deferred maintenance. Supposedly this was garaged so the underneath the rockers etc. should be decent but if those are shot its not gonna work.
- Mark 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, G4NG engine with connecting rod bearing issues. Engine needs to be replaced, but Hyundai is denying warranty claim. I have all maintenance records from mile zero. It has been in Hyundai Service department 5 time in 4 months. They added the knock sensor and software update to let you know the engine is about to blow up. They kicked the can down the road doing patch work until the car was past the 120k extended extended warranty. I have that documentation too. So how can I join the class action law suit or find a Lawyer that handles these types of issues?
- Wolfwagen Always loved the late 70s and very early 80s Scout II and Terras.This resurrection will be nothing like those. SINO - Scout in Name Only