Piston Slap: Is It Piston Slap? Ja-nee, Baby!
Mu-een (from Cape Town, South Africa!) writes:
Hi I would like to know what is the difference sound of a tappet noise, or bad rocker, or a piston slap. Thanks regards.
I suspect that –for most engines– piston slap is a deeper, more resonant sound than an out of whack tappet. Pistons are bigger and buried further in the engine (usually) than tappets, it’s gonna have a different sound by design. Conversely, you could easily isolate the two sounds with a decent mechanic’s stethoscope, or with a cheap one. So for whatever vehicle you own down in Cape Town, try isolating the noise with a stethoscope…or maybe just a loooooong screwdriver against the cam/valve cover on the top of the motor.
Now on to the important implications of this letter. Put another way, OH MY DAMN SON U KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS? We got us some Piston Slaps from North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Australia…and now Africa!
TTAC RULEZ THE WORLD! This is Panther Love with an LSX-FTW swap: a fantastic combination of wonderful things in a singular moment.
Wait…is Antarctica a continent too?
AND they drive cars down there?
Do they read TTAC?
We were sooooo close to world domination!
Send your queries to email@example.com. ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE FROM ANTARCTICA. Spare no details and ask for a speedy resolution if you’re in a hurry…but be realistic, and use your make/model specific forums instead of TTAC for more timely advice.
Raph on Apr 16, 2013
LSx swap into a pather! Have the gods no mercy!!!! That ain't panther love. Panther love would be FRPP 5.0 MOD block with a stroker crank making it dang close to 330 cubes topped off with a set of Trick Flow 2v heads and a nice set of cams. I swear if I ever get a heap of money, I'm doing a road-runner(Boss 5.0) MT-82 and 8.8 swap into a nice old 67 Nova.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- MaintenanceCosts At least on the US West Coast, Waze is perfectly happy to send cut-through drivers down residential streets or to disregard peak-hour turn or travel restrictions. I hope if it's going to be standard equipment the company starts taking a more responsible approach.
- MaintenanceCosts I'm more curious about the effect (if any) on battery lifetime than range. Drawing current faster creates more heat and if that heat is not promptly drawn away it could affect life of the cells.I agree this sort of thing can make sense as a one-time option but is consumer-hostile as a subscription.
- Ajla "The upgrade is permanent" 🤔Journos really should be calling out the automakers like Mercedes that are attempting to make this sort of thing subscription only because it obviously doesn't need to be."with a one-time price tag of $1,195"This also shows the poor consumer "value" of Mercedes wanting $1200 per year for a 60hp jump on the EQE350.
- Dukeisduke Will the next owner have to pay up, too, like with Tesla? What's the starting price of the Polestar 2? I saw a clean used one listed locally the other day, and it was under $50k. I wasn't sure if that was a deal or not.
- Buickman what about EMFs from riding on a giant battery?is there a vax for that?