Audi "Clean Diesel" Campaign Hypes U.S. Energy Independence
Anyone remember energy independence? You know: oil addiction? Freeing America from the oppressive yoke of foreign oil importation? I guess the yoke’s on us, isn’t it children? You know, at one time, energy independence was, as Paris Hilton used to say, hot. The issue was used to justify spending billions of federal tax dollars to help our nice agribusinesspeople brew ethanol from corn. Hands up those of you who’ve heard your Mommy or Daddy saying “no one ever died defending a corn field?” Well, times change. Although the E85 federal subsidies and mandates are still there, and our corn growers are doing all they can do to ruin engines with mandatory E15 gasoline blends, you just don’t hear so much about energy independence as you used to. That’s all going to change now! I know: isn’t it exciting? And you’ll never guess who’s going to ping the people? Audi. Yes, Katy, truth in engineering. Only now it’s truth in TDI Clean Diesel!
“Energy independence and fuel efficiency are at the forefront of public debate, and with the launch of the Q7 TDI clean diesel, Audi is introducing a viable solution into that national discussion,” said Johan de Nysschen, President, Audi of America. “Several solutions for reducing America’s dependence on foreign oil have been introduced, but few are as convenient, accessible, and fun as simply switching from regular gasoline to clean diesel.”
What debate? Fun? Is Audi on buff book time? Good point, Johnny. And yes, Audi only sells three models in the US with diesel engines, and not many of those at that. What’s that? No, the R10 V12 TDI doesn’t count, Lucy. But you’re right: it did win LeMans!
All good questions and points children. Now turn to your Audi PR handout and read along with me.
• A U.S. EPA analysis found that if one-third of Americans fueled their cars, pick-ups and SUVs with clean diesel instead of gasoline, the United States could send back 1.5 million barrels of foreign oil per day.
• One drop of diesel fuel has 12% more power than one drop of gasoline.
• TDI clean diesel engines reduce carbon emissions by 20% over gasoline engines.
• If one-third of Americans switched from gasoline to clean diesel, it would be the equivalent of planting 2.2 billion trees.
That’s it for today, boys and girls. And don’t forget the dirty word of the day: particulates.
More by Robert Farago
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Ajla There is inventory on the ground but as pointed out it is generally high dollar trims of high-dollar models and at least around here dealers still aren't budging off their mandatory nitrogen tires and Summer weather protection packages.You aren't paying '21-'22 prices anymore but it's still a long way to go.
- Slavuta Every electric car must come with a film about lithium mining
- Sobhuza Trooper Drop a good, high-strung German engine in this and you'd have American flair with German repair costs!
- Kwik_Shift I'll just drive my Frontier into the ground as planned. Possibly find an older "fun" car to collect.
- Lorenzo The solution is so simple: if the driver shifts into neutral without applying the parking brake, the horn sounds and lights flash until the parking brake is applied. After the third time, the driver should be insulted by a voice saying, "Shouldn't your wife be driving?", or "Where did you get your license - Dollar Store?"