Spend enough time on the autoblogosphere and you’ll know that most “rumors” propagated by various auto sites are at best worthless garbage created to generate pageview clicks. The best stuff usually doesn’t make it to the pages of the publication, because sources need to be protected, and the juiciest rumors would inevitably somebody’s cover if they were revealed.
Thanks to some of our supplier contacts (hey, if the OEMs won’t talk to us, we’ll go elsewhere), we’ve known a fair bit about the 2015 Mustang for some time. But we didn’t want to publish anything about it just yet, largely because doing so would have meant that a trusted source would have been burned.
But now that Road & Track has spilled the beans on the all new SVT Cobra, (with accurate information that was certainly gleaned from someone deep inside Ford) it’s time for us to show our hand (with the permission of our source). Among the new features appearing on the 2015 Mustang
- Independent rear suspension (but you knew that).
- A 3.7L V6, 5.0 V8. The new 2.3L Ecoboost I4 is said to make roughly 270 horsepower.
- MT82 6-speed will carry over
- The SVT Cobra will have a 5.2L naturally aspirated V8 with no engine cover. The reason for that is because the new styling (and Euro safety regs) mean a supercharger is not feasible as far as fitting under the hood goes.
- There will be further option packages for the SVT car to make it even more hardcore and track-oriented