Every day seems to bring new tales of doom and gloom for Europe. Is it time for a Continental Deathwatch?
Europe alone is host to a number of problems;
- An ongoing capacity crisis with plants outputting far less than necessary to stay profitable
- Opel facing a meltdown and a possible merger with PSA
- PSA being eaten alive by rival Renault’s low-cost cars
- Fiat fretting about…well, nearly everything from capacity to EU assistance to labor
- Ford sales taking a swan dive
- An overall bleak picture for auto sales, at their lowest in over a decade.
The time may be right for a Europe Deathwatch. Maybe not in the same vein as the GM Deathwatch, but there is no doubt that there will be major changes to the continent’s auto industry. The PSA-Opel merger, if it goes through, could be the start of massive consolidation in an overly bloated industry, and no amount of editorials lamenting the marque that brought us the 505 STX and the 205 GTI can change the facts on the ground.
In the mean time, have your say.