Most automakers are suspending operations in Egypt while riots continue. Here is a list of current closures:
- GM has halted operations at its plant near Cairo.-
- Daimler has stopped production at its Egypt plant.
- BMW shut down assembly in Egypt.
- Volkswagen stopped deliveries to Egypt.
- Nissan closed its factory in Egypt.
- Suzuki shut down its joint-venture plant in Egypt
After South Africa, Egypt is the second largest car producing nation in Africa, and is an important export destination.