Which are the safest cars you can buy in Europe? The results of Euro NCAP tests will rattle established Euro carmakers: Out of 5 categories, 2 were won by a Japanese car, one by a Korean car. In 2010, Euro NCAP crash tested twenty nine vehicles. 65 percent received five stars.
Here are the best-of-class cars, according to Euro NCAP:
- Executive category: BMW 5 Series
- Small Family category: Alfa Romeo Giulietta
- Supermini category: Honda CR-Z
- Small off-road 4×4 category: Kia Sportage
- Small MPV category: Toyota Verso
Even the worst ones are no deathtraps. The bottom of the list is shared by the Citroen Nemo (three stars) and the Chinese Landwind CV9 (two stars).
These results reflect the toughened 2010 Euro NCAP rules. The full list of results can be downloaded here.